You may be hearing a lot about telehealth as a way to receive healthcare, but you’re not quite sure what it is and what it means to you as a patient. In this blog, we are answering some of the questions you may have in regards to Telehealth Physical Therapy.
The bottom line is that if you’re hurt or hurting, you don’t have to suffer through the COVID-19 crisis in pain. Makovicka Physical Therapy is here to help!
We asked one of our physical therapists, Collin Schrader PT, DPT, for his perspective in working with patients via telehealth. Dr. Schrader has worked primarily with low back and hip pain patients but has patients with other injuries scheduled for the coming weeks. Here’s what he had to say:
“As physical therapists, it is our job to build a program that is engaging and effective. It does not require fancy equipment to make the best of the current situation. The only items my patients have brought to the visit are water bottles and yoga mats.
My patients have used textbooks, backpacks, chairs, beds, etc. as well as their bodies to challenge themselves. We can provide effective physical therapy using modifications with available equipment, reps, sets, break time, etc. to load tissues and ultimately help them strengthen and heal.
So far, my patients have had very positive experiences and express to me that they feel they’re not alone as they work to manage their recovery while following social distancing recommendations. I find telehealth an excellent option for my patients.” Collin Schrader, PT, DPT. Physical Therapist at Makovicka Physical Therapy- Bellevue clinic.
What is Telehealth Physical Therapy?
Telehealth is the means to deliver physical therapy to people in need of services through secure technology—smartphone, tablet, or computer with a camera. Your physical therapist is responsible for developing a plan of care and for providing the delivery of that care. You receive a comprehensive visit with your therapist in the comfort of your home.
What do I need to participate?
Makovicka Physical Therapy is offering Telehealth Physical Therapy to patients via a device—smartphone, or a tablet, or a computer with a camera. Our physical therapist sets an appointment; you receive a secure link via email. Click the link, and you are ready to go! If you prefer not to go to your physician’s office to eliminate virus exposure, we can help you obtain a prescription from your primary care provider.
How will Telehealth Physical Therapy help me—what are the benefits for me?
1. Convenience. There is no transportation time or costs. You can save money on gas, and the time it takes to drive to the clinic.
2. More Convenience: there’s no need to take time off work. You can schedule your appointment during a break, over your lunchtime or before or after work. You can see your physical therapist from anywhere you feel you have enough privacy.
3. Even More Convenience: eliminate child or eldercare issues. If you are caring for others or even serving as a teacher, you don’t have to find someone to fill in for you, which is even more challenging during social isolation.
4. Ergonomic evaluation: Let us help you get comfortable—from home work stations, sleeping positions, and other postural positions that may create pain.
5. Less exposure to illness –We will help you obtain a prescription from your primary care provider, and you won’t have to leave your home for physical therapy.
What if I just had surgery, or I’m getting ready for surgery; will this help me?
Physical therapists are movement specialists, and movement affects improvement. Keeping your body and joints in motion is essential pre or post-surgery.
We recognize that not all medical situations are right for Telehealth Physical Therapy, and you can trust our honest assessment of your case.
Does my insurance cover Telehealth Physical Therapy?
Yes. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Nebraska is now waiving the co-pay fee for Telehealth Physical Therapy. All insurance companies are covering this service as if you were present in the clinic.
Do you still offer a cash-pay option if I don’t want to go through insurance?
Yes. Makovicka Physical Therapy offers cash-pay as a convenience for patients instead of submitting a bill to their health insurance company or for those individuals who may not have an insurance company.
Is this secure?
Absolutely! We are using the latest technology, which is HIPAA compliant. You are in the privacy of your own home, so you may access wherever you are most comfortable.