Makovicka Physical Therapy announces the addition of a certified hand therapist, Megan Classen, OTD, OTR/L, CLT, CHT to its staff. Megan attended the University of South Dakota where she received her master’s degree and doctoral degree in occupational therapy. She completed the qualifications and passed the board examination to become a Certified Hand Therapist (CHT).
Megan provides therapy to clients who have sustained traumatic, repetitive use, and work-related hand and arm injuries. She has worked with hand surgeons in several cities around the eastern Nebraska region. Megan is a member of the American Society of Hand Therapists.
What is a Certified Hand Therapist?
A certified hand therapist provides a variety of techniques and tools that include activity and exercise programs, custom orthotic fabrication, wound, and scar care, and the management of pain and swelling. They provide non-operative interventions, preventative care, and post-surgical rehabilitation for a wide variety of upper extremity disorders. They specialize in the evaluation and treatment of individuals with conditions affecting the hands, wrist, forearm, and elbow. Whether a fingertip injury or a complex condition, the certified hand therapist can evaluate and treat all aspects of the upper extremity conditions to a successful recovery.
What can a Certified Hand Therapist do for me?
- A certified hand therapist can provide accurate assessments, immediate care, and effective treatment to reduce treatment time. A certified hand therapist can provide the most comprehensive care for their patients.
- Faster recovery results in decreased medical costs
- Functional outcomes ensure a faster return to work and a productive lifestyle
What types of services does a Certified Hand Therapist offer?
- Fine Motor Skills
- Pain Management
- Wound and Scar Management
- Muscle Strengthening
- Ergonomic Education
- Edema Management
- Manual Therapy (IASTM)
- Custom Splint Fabrication
- Use of Electrotherapeutic, Superficial and Deep Thermal Agents
For a free hand therapy consultation, call Megan at 402.325.6341.