August 1, 2013
Here is a link to our BACKPACK SAFETY tips. Take a look at them before you go shopping for a new backpack or before the first day of school. These things are often overlooked and can have long lasting effects on our kids.
If you’re having a hard time viewing the pdf above here are some of the tips.
PURCHASING A BACKPACK:
• Two wide padded shoulder straps
• Lightweight fabric
• Padded back
• Multiple compartments
• Waist belt
These features not only make it more comfortable to wear a backpack,
but helps evenly distribute the weight
BACKPACK SAFETY TIPS & IDEAS:
• Wear both straps. Backpack should sit evenly on the middle of the back,
two inches above the waist.
• Weight of the backpack should not exceed 10-15% of child’s body weight.
• Be aware of your posture when standing or walking with book bag.
• Pick the backpack up by bending at the knee, instead of throwing it over
WHAT KIDS CAN DO:
• Use desk or locker more frequently
• Do not carry around unnecessary items
• Lighten the load! Bring home only the books needed for homework/ studying each night. Organize the heaviest contents so they are placed near the back.
ADJUST BACKPACK IF:
• Child struggles to get the pack on and off
• Complaints of back pain arise
• Child’s standing posture is altered due to the weigh and fit of pack